When it rains it pours... sometimes in your living room

 
It had been an incredibly blissful 2 months of marriage... the kind of months that almost seem too good to be true. Joel and I had a wonderful first Christmas together and loved sharing our first New Years kiss. With the holidays coming to an end the reality sank in that Joel was leaving for training on January 6th and it was time to prepare for him to be gone. I kept telling my self that we should be grateful because it could be worse... He could be getting deployed... He could have had to been away for longer... all the while nothing made me feel better about him being gone. We had got movie gift cards for Christmas and had been excited to catch a couple date nights before he left town for 5 weeks. So on January 2nd we headed out after dinner. It was snowing but the roads weren't white... until we got further north. Our truck (that we had only owned for 3 weeks) went sliding on snow, turned backwards, rode an embankment and fell on its side. We were okay... managed to climb out and had relatively no injuries except for my arm being bruised from the air bag. When we arrived home late that night and replayed the accident we both came to the clear realization that we were blessed.... it could have been worse. As the weekend went on my right arm/shoulder got worse and worse and I was still unable to do anything with my dominant hand. Joel seeing this, called his boss and let him know there was no way he could leave me in the state I was. It's a wonderful thing he didn't leave on Monday because Tuesday our pipes froze. So Joel dropped me off at church and stayed home to attempt to get our water going. When we returned from church we walked in the house to see this....
It was literally... raining in our living room. The ice had thawed and water was flooding from a busted pipe in out 2nd story bathroom... that just happens to be located above our living room. As crazy as the process is of getting this all worked out Joel, myself, and many others have said it could be worse ... Joel could have been gone and this happened. It could have ruined our furniture.. the list goes on and on. At church yesterday many knowing and not knowing the circumstances asked how we are. Trying to be as honest as possible... I would reply "we're making it" in a half sarcastic tone. There were a few conversations that in the middle of them I realized all the other person had gone through and realized that to them this probably seemed sooo minor. It brought me back again to my comparing thought... "It could be worse."

I walked into our auditorium and as I sang praises to my wonderful God... He kept dealing with me about this phrase that I'd been comforting myself with. Unexpectedly He brought tears to my eyes with a very simple realization.... It is valid when we say "it could be worse." But it's not worse in worldly circumstances like I was thinking of. It could be worse that I could be without Jesus. That I would be left to pay for sin out of my own pocket. That I would have no insurance to cover my disasters! It could be worse... We can gladly rejoice because we have Him! He covers my damages over and over and over again... and the only deductible required is myself... and when I fail in giving Him all of that... He makes up the difference and He still loves me and insures me!

As the moment quickly passed and the band transitioned to the next song... God blew me away as He confirmed everything He had just spoken into my life... Our worship pastor began to sing...

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul."

Praise the Lord... It is well with my soul.
Whatever He presents or allows in life... good or bad.. It is well with my soul.
Not because my earthly circumstance could be worse.... but because my soul and life are totally insured by the blood and grace of my sweet Savior and that makes everything else bearable.

I don't want to give you the wrong impression... I didn't wake up this morning singing Oh Happy Day.... I wasn't rejoicing as I called and made orthopaedic appointments or when Joel called to tell me that the insurance agency totalled our truck or when the contractor told me it'd be 3-4 weeks before our living room ceiling is replaced.... but I am now and forever resting in the fact that ...
It could be worse.... and what's coming is gloriously better!

~
Romans 8.18
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed."

 
signature

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top